Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"We're Tuesday People"

I was quite inspired by the group who did their project on Tuesday's with Morrie (thanks, if you're reading this ;)). I read that book quite a while ago and I had forgotten how much I was inspired by the words of wisdom that Morrie offered. I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on my favorite quote from Morrie. "So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half asleep, even when they are busy doing things they think are important. This is because they are chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning in your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." This quote is so true, isn't it? I feel like a lot of us are constantly waiting for the next best thing: "If I could just get through this week," "If I could just get through college," "If I could just find my future spouse," THEN life can start. THEN I'll be happy. Pardon my directness, but I agree with Morrie: We've got it all wrong. Take a moment and think about what you want your life to look like in the end. I sure don't want to waste my life being half asleep, waiting for the next bigger and better thing to happen. I want to be content with where I am now, completely satisfied with this moment. I think we need to re-train ourselves on the things that are truly important, and re-train ourselves not to waste THIS moment, THIS week, THIS year. Just think, most of us probably dreamed of being in college since we were youngsters (yes, I did just say youngsters) and now, I'm willing to bet that most of us are wishing we were finished and are ready to start the next season of our lives. If we are not careful, we are going to miss out on everything that is promised to us in this season because we are too busy wishing the next season would start. Let's not be people constantly waiting for the next best thing. Let's make an extra effort to live in the moment. THIS moment. For this moment is all we are promised.


"Promising forever, knowing that this moment might be all we ever find." (Just thought I'd throw in a little Tim McGraw in there, country music anyone?!)

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, and Morrie. We spend our lives always trying to do more, get more, be more, but we never stop to take in what we already have and what we already are, and for most of us we have accomplished more in a lifetime than others much older have. Its great to have dreams and goals, but if you spend your whole life chasing these goals and don't stop to breathe and take in the beauty of life, you'll get lost along the way never really being satisfied. I've never read or seen Tuesday's With Morrie, but it is definitely on my bucket list. I think Morrie has a great outlook on life. He realizes that as long as it seems it will never be long enough. Therefore we need to seize each and every day in order to live this life completely happy, and leave it the same way.

    PS....Go country music! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I loved the movie Tuesdays With Morrie and thought Samantha and Laura’s presentation applied very well to our class. I like how they incorporated Morrie’s quotes, depicting his overall knowledge and outlook on death. The quote you mentioned is a great example of how we are, especially as college students. Many of us (not all but a vast majority)are constantly rushing around, rather than taking the time to avoid procrastination to enhance our quality of life. After graduation, I look forward to being able to take a breather and enjoy life the way we all should. Before we know it death will approach and I feel as though we should all feel like we have accomplished what we desire out of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that book when I was a junior in high school, so it was quite refreshing to hear the story line all over again after so many years. Many of us don't realize that we spend so much of our time worrying about getting things done and constantly running our minds in circles stressing out about the next thing we have to do. Although easier said than done, it takes a lot in order to take a back seat in our own lives for just a second and appreciate life in its entirety. A quote that I remember Professor Cox saying in class, 'Don't forget to make a life for yourself, not just a living".

    ReplyDelete