Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My beloved aunts

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/fire/article1019848.ece

At the website above, you can read about my Aunt Cristal's death two summers ago. We miss her so much and my heart aches to know that she had to leave us that way.

Sadly, she was an alcoholic. The night of her death, she passed out in her chair in the living room, with a cigarette in hand. As disturbing as some of these details are for me to write about, I feel like I should share this. The firefighters said that her body was face down in front of the chair in the form of ash. The cigarette must have fell to the floor as she passed out and it lit the house on fire. They said she probably woke up, inhaling the thick smoke and tried to escape but just fell forward.

My family heard of her death on a news broadcast.

A few days later, my mom, aunt, stepdad and grandparents and myself went to visit the house to see what was left. We hoped to find old pictures and memories so that we could remember her always. I shoveled through ash, dirt and piles of debris to try to find what was left of my aunt in the house and that is something I will never forget. She will be forever missed.


A few months ago, in November 2010, my Aunt Rhoda, my mom's other sister, lost her battle to breast cancer. Our family had time to prepare for her death, spending a lot of time by her side (which was very different from Aunt Cristal's death).

You never think things like this will happen to you or your family members but it's a fact: everyone goes when its their time to go. God doesn't always take them away at the perfect time but we will see them again and that is what we have to hold onto. I think we all just need to remember that we should live each day like it is our last, spending time with our dearest loved ones and cherishing every moment.

R.I.P Aunt Cristal & Aunt Rhoda- our two beautiful angels in heaven <3

No comments:

Post a Comment