Tuesday, February 15, 2011

New Orleans Cemeteries

A couple weeks ago we learned about the “New Orleans Jazz Funeral” tradition. This cultural tradition is fairly unique to the area, and some people may be confused by the different emotions shown at this funeral compared to the usual somber funerals.

I attended a conference in New Orleans this past November, and on the way to the hotel, our bus driver was giving the passengers somewhat of a tour. The football stadium had been painted, the Saint’s were playing, and the cemetery is above ground… wait, what?! As we passed by a large cemetery, I saw the thousands of memorials and what looked like sarcophagi in rows upon rows. The driver explained that since New Orleans is below sea level, people cannot be buried in the ground, or else the coffins would rise out of the ground. I personally found this unsettling, and tried to get my mind off of the topic. Although it is different, I thought I would share this with you.

I did do some research, and apparently the driver was a little off- the coffins would not rise out of the ground, but instead they would fill with water and the remains would give off fumes. This led to city rules that required (in most cases) for people to be buried aboveground. I found a link that explains more about the New Orleans cemeteries if you would like to learn more: http://www.nolacemeteries.com/

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this experience. It is really interesting that the graves are all above ground and it makes sense since New Orleans can easily flood. Were you able to go to any of the cemeteries? It would be really fascinating to see them up close. I was also wondering if you saw any “jazz funerals” while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, unfortunately my stay in New Orleans was short due to my having to get back to school, and so I was not able to see the cemeteries up close. I also did not witness any "jazz funerals". The closest I was to the cemetery was looking out of the shuttle bus window as we passed by on the highway. I would like to visit New Orleans again, and if I do, I plan to take a closer look at the cemetery, and hope to see one of the funeral processions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen these cemeteries in person and they were really beautiful. It's such a different way to bury the dead but I honestly think it keeps them closer, and more a part of humanity this way. Burying people beneath the ground seems more like getting rid of them rather than this alternative that keeps them more apart of the visual landscape. And while it was still a very somber place, you were able to experience different personalities almost in the way the stone carvings were designed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting...thanks for sharing! I've always wanted to visit New Orleans, partially to visit the cemeteries there. I know that sounds a bit gruesome, but I feel that the cemeteries there are so different and unique. It seems that by burying them above ground it would keep them closer to humanity, just like jcopper said. Also, the above ground tombs are so beautiful and detailed. I would love to see that in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow thats really interesting. I never really thought about New Orleans and the people who die where do their bodies go. That is unsettling what the driver said, I would of been disturbed too. But at least you researched it and found out that it would just give off fumes and not rise up. Death is something I never really think about until someone I know personally or a friend know happens to them. It is important to think about where the bodies should go buried, cremated becuase its the familys wishes. You want to make their memories comforting and not upsetting. Learning about different cemeterys and locations is important.

    ReplyDelete