Monday, February 21, 2011

A Genuine Man

On February 11th 2011,
my grandfather passed away.

He technically wasn't a blood relative. My "real" grandfather had left while my father was still a boy. David stepped in later on in my Nana's life. Like a knight in shining armour kind of way. David had experienced his own loss, a man who's child and wife had both died some years before. But he met my Nana and they spent 15 years together in partnership before her passing five years ago, and became the man I (and my family) knew and welcomed as our own.
It's difficult to write words such as spent ,and had, in reference to anyone, but for those people closest to us it's a million times worse. The past tense makes it so final.
While he lives far away, I was unable to visit the man that had brought so much joy to my family in his remaining time. I will always regret that. Even now I realize I used the word lives in the previous sentence. He spent his remaining years alone in a nursing home, missing his past. The few letters I sent him, now just don't seem like enough.
After taking this course I realized how important social contact is to those of us having to say goodbye. And I wish I could have been there with my family to hold David's hand and talk to him about my Nana and his beautiful rose garden. His funeral will be held later this month with flowers from my parents and myself, as well as a bouquet from my Nana.
David was a genuinely nice man. He was a man always willing to listen and show compassion. Thanks for being a part of my family David. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment