Thursday, March 17, 2011

Frank Buckles

A big headline recently was the death of Frank Buckles on February 27th, 2011. He was the last living American veteran of World War I. He was 110 years old when he passed away. He had previously been awarded the World War I Victory Medal and the Army of Occupation of Germany medal.
This death is a humbling one as it reminds us of the lives lost in wars fought for our country, and brings to light the fact that we still have young soldiers fighting in foreign areas for us today.
Frank had what we can deem a full life. He was married in 1946, and had a daughter in 1955. He was a farmer throughout his retirement and became an Honorary Chairman of the World War I Memorial Foundation.
From not knowing him personally, I would like to infer that he had a fulfilled life and ultimately found a "good death". It's by my definition also that those soldiers we have today, fighting for our freedoms are heroes. Their bravery is inspiring and if they are killed fighting for our nation's people, then it should be considered a "good death" and I owe them my humblest gratitude.

2 comments:

  1. Another way to look at this is as the end of a generation. The American soldiers that fought in World War I were a group that experienced major events. Many soldiers died during or after the war, but America made sure that they were remembered by honoring each one in memorials dedicated to their service.

    We have talked in class about the common desire to have had an impact in the world and be remembered for things we have done. The soldiers in WWI certainly impacted how the world is today. The lives of Frank Buckles and all of the other American soldiers are remembered for their sacrifice and love of their country, and are honored for living their lives to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that death in war is a good death. There is no greater death than a death that comes while fighting for something you believe in. My hope is that every soldier who has died at war believed in the cause of the war. I know that is not possible, but maybe even those soldiers found a good death because they loved their country so much that they were willing to fight for it even when they didn't think the war needed to be fought. I am really proud of all our soldiers and Frank and his fellow war vets deserve our deepest gratitude.

    ReplyDelete