Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Better off Dead

Death is usually looked upon as a bad thing. The term I would be better off dead is widely used but rarely do we think it is the case. In the movie Gladiator Maximus the main character goes from a general, to a slave, to a gladiator who becomes a voice more powerful than the empire. He achieves this by sending others to the grave in battle, and in certain cases by refusing to send them to the grave when told to do so by the king who would either give a "thumbs up" or thumbs down". I think the interesting part is that Maximus gained more respect by not taking someones life when told to do so, rather than taking a life. By respecting someone elses life I think he earned the respect of others to respect his life. In the movie his son and wife are murdered, towards the end of the movie he gets wounded in an epic battle. He defeats his opponent but suffers battle wounds which to me seemed as though he could recover from them. After the battle he falls to his knees and has flashbacks of his wife and son. In his visions he was being reunited with his family. It seemed to me that he had given up the will to live and was better off dead, because by dying he would be reunited with his family.

4 comments:

  1. Don't take this the wrong way, I don't want to die. I believe that I have been given this life for a purpose and I am making the most out of it, but because of my faith, I do believe that eternal life is going to be much better than what this life has to offer me. Spending eternity in the presence of the glory of my God in heaven is a wonderful promise and gift that I believe I will get after I die. Not everyone is going to agree with this, but I just wanted to give you another example of when it is true to be better off dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that we do live for a purpose and we should all not want to be dead for a very long time. I want to do what I am supposed to do here, whatever that is, I will figure it out and then I will die when it is my time. I do not make that decision. I believe God makes that decision. He is the one in charge. Heaven will be the best gift of eternity life but I am not ready for it to happen to me yet. I have too much to get done and to make a difference in lives. Live life to its fullest each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that we were placed on earth for a reason. I know myself personally I don’t know what it is that I am meant to do, but for some of the stupid things that I have done in my past I should not still be here. I think that there is a higher power watching over us and guiding in the right direction. When it is my time to go I will go but not before that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that we are put on this earth for a purpose. I do however, understand that he gave up his will to live in order to be reunited with his family. It is possible that his purpose to be in the world was to be with his family, therefore needs to be with them.

    ReplyDelete